Thursday, July 29, 2010

All in Good Time...

There are many great time-keeping devices in Cambridge.

There's this one, the Corpus Clock:


There's the clock in the Pembroke clock tower connected to the Library:

And there's the clock tower in the King's College gate (the one with the dome-ish structure):

Some of my favorite sounds of Cambridge are the chiming of the bells on the hour and half hour and the deep metallic click of the Corpus Clock dragon eating up time as I pass by it on my way to and from town every day. Time here makes sound. As I study in the quiet library or in my bedroom (between the hours of 11:00 pm and 7:00 am when the Spanish teenagers aren't all congregated outside their houses across the street singing "Yo Soy Espanol Espanol Espanol!"), I'm even more conscious of the tiny tick of the second hand on my wrist watch. If my watch I use to keep the time as I run and to wake me up in the morning stops beeping, I'm in trouble. So what's so important about time and sound?

Karen Eiffel from Stranger than Fiction may present one thesis, but I think the sound reminds me that time is constant. It keeps going, whether I've made the most of the last 60 minutes or not. I can do a lot in 60 minutes. I found out here at Cambridge that after a bit of preparation and study, I can write 1500 words in a little over 60 minutes. The sounds of time constantly remind me to make the most of my time here. So here's to the last 3 weeks of my England adventure! They're bound to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment